To nurture an environment where all levels of bowling ability are nutured and accommodated with genuine sportsmanship.
To be competitive and represent the Club, in all respects, with pride whether individually or as a team.
To take MBC forward by respecting our history but introducing innovative ideas to achieve the difinitive status as “THE CLUB” of choice.
1938 - 2013 as remembered by John Norman & Norman Slater (HLMs)
Margate Bowling Club celebrates 75 years of existence this year and during this time has established itself as one of the most well known clubs where this popular sport is played. This is mainly because it is located in Margate which is a prime holiday resort.
These last 75 years have seen this Club grow from its infancy into its present rating as one of the country's premier bowling institutions.
MBC first started with only one green near the centre of the town in 1938 then moved to a much better location where it now occupies three Municipal stands on the coast line.
The ground was bought by the Margate Municipality, from a Mr Erasmus who owned large parts of the area, for the princely sum of £3 500.00.
The Club progressed and membership slowly grew until a male only bar licence was obtained where lady members had to order and drink their liquid refreshments in the hall and where only male members were allowed in the bar! This only changed in about 1980 when a full liquor licence was obtained. The bar was extended on two occasions, in 1981 and again in 1983 to its present size.
There was a disastrous fire on the night of 7 October 1990 (after Natal won the Currie Cup final against Northern Transvaal) which all but destroyed the entire building, the cause of which was never established.
The new building was rebuilt by the Municipality in 1991 and extensions were done at the Club's expense. The Club was also responsible for completely re-furnishing and re-equipping the premises which resulted in the Clubs finances being pushed to the limit. With donations from bowling clubs from all parts of the country the Club rose from the ashes. Fortunately the greens were not damaged and a loaned marquee served as a temporary Club-house.
Being on the river, the Club has experienced severe flooding on several occasions. These near disasters severely tested this wonderful Club's members' spirit which has always been exemplary.
We continue to progress and honour the priceless name of “Bowls”.